Monday, April 8, 2013

A Purpose Driven Life? It's Like Riding a bike

Created this image today, while waiting for the stain to dry in my work shop tent.  Good analogy as I begin to fill the empty basket and parts arriving Wednesday for the '60's Puch Bergmeister.  Will add another post showing how well that project is turning out.  But today I have been thinking more about riding.

I own four bikes each with its own application.  A touring bike, which is the most versatile and is closest thing to an all rounder that I own  with an extra set of 700x40c tires for trail riding but as I was able to find a Dahon for $40 bucks at a marine supply resale shop I decided to get another bike.  It had a rusted chain, loose headset and a shifter that was seized up and now have that little beauty humming along just fine.  It also turned out to be the bike my step daughters were able to experience riding a bike for the first time on.  With that sentimental value, and folding versatility we decided to keep it.  I added a handle bar basket and use it for the occasional beer errand.   My mountain bike is a piecer put together with this and that of cheap available parts until I found an 80's Diamond Back Ascent EX that was garage kept and hardly ridden.  I wanted the Deore thumbshifters that sell on ebay for near $100 and found myself with an entire Shimano LX component group.  So, decided to keep that as my mountain bike as I now have a close to $300 component set from a bike I paid $60 for.  It is a work in progress as I continue to hone it as an all purpose utility bike to pull a trailer and commute with.  Lastly I have a 1942 Speigel Airman that I keep around as my prized antique single speed coaster brake cruiser. As I mentioned, today I have been thinking of riding.

With these four very different bikes it is only natural that each offers a different ride.  When riding the 20" wheeled Dahon I recall my youth of BMX bikes and flat land tricks, though back then we didn't call it that. So I have built my mountain bike with a very upright riding position which makes it very easy to practice riding an occasional wheelie from time to time and is fun with very wide mountain riser comfort bars.  So playing and innocence go along with riding a bike for me, even when I am cruising my slow steady rhythm on my touring bike and getting a work out.  Riding a bike means different things to different people the way different intentions and experiences shape different rides for the same person.  So each ride might be said to be "purpose driven" but not necessarily even for those pursuing goals that require intense training to reach goals which a person sets for themselves.  So whether I'm riding for fun, fitness, pleasure or adventure, the old saying "it's like riding a bike" is to convey not that it's effortless, but to not worry about it.  Ride your own ride.
Genuinely,
Bike Peasant
p.s.  "Ride your own ride" aptly applies to bike thieves, who don't have a choice, they have to "ride it like they stole it". .  Just needed to vent a bit as the girls bikes were stolen off our back porch. : )



No comments:

Post a Comment